Spring Garden Street
riverside park: spring garden intersection along the Delaware River/ Larry Holmes Drive.
|To the North of the Park, by the on-ramp to Route 22, is Patricia Meyerowitz’s redwood sculpture “Easton Ellipse”. Jacob and Patricia Meyerowitz were part of migration of artists from New York City to Easton (North Bank Street) in the 1980s. Jacob was born in Cape Town, later migrating to London, New York, and finally Easton. He was well known for oil paintings, acrylics, and silk screening. Patricia, a native of England, is known for “unit construction” sculptures such as the one in Riverside Park, as well as for jewelry designs. She is also an expert on the writings of Gertrude Stein. more detail about riverside park.|
|131, 133 Spring Garden Street: Row Houses|
|135 Spring Garden Street: Row House|
|137 Spring Garden Street: Row House|
|139-45 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
165 Spring Garden Street: Hackett Mansion - This was the home of State Senator William Clayton Hackett (1874-1930), who donated Hackett Park to the City of Easton in 1914 in accordance with a prior (refused) offer made by his father, Joseph Hackett....more detail on 165 spring garden.
|Green St. to North Second St.:||South Side|
|102-06 Spring Garden Street: Delaware Row homes - Three row houses with common façade, each 2-1/2 stories high, each with large dormer. Large, continuous pillared front porch, on which each house has 3 bays (a door and 2 windows). On second floor, the middle unit has 4 widow bays, while the two end units have 2 window bays plus a large oriel window each. The triplex occupies the eastern end of the old Delaware Hotel property. This hotel was apparently opened "shortly after the Revolutionary War" by "Sheriff Jonas Hartzell", and known as the Delaware House. According to historian William Heller, Hartzell's hotel "was strictly a raftsmen's hotel and remained such during the entire rafting period, which lasted about one hundred years." ...more detail on 102-106 spring garden.|
|114 Spring Garden Street: Reichard House - 2-1/2 story, with Mansard roof, and second-floor oriel window; brick eastern extension with peaked roof and garage door at street level. The Mansard roof is indicative of the "Second Empire" building style that was popular after the Civil War, and largely fell out of favor in the mid-1870s. The property owner at that time was Mary Keller, whose husband Thomas Keller was the proprietor of the Delaware Hotel at Front Street. The earlier history of the Delaware Hotel property and proprietors is included in the separate www.WalkingEaston.com entry for the Delaware Row Houses triplex at 102-06 Spring Garden Street. The Kellers split off the westernmost portion of their hotel property in 1876 with a sale to Edward Chidsey. They then sold another portion from the western end in 1881 to William Reichard (also spelled Reichardt). Reichard's portion included the property next door at No.118 Spring Garden Street, which itself may have contained another "Second Empire" style house at the time (the "Vogel House") ...more detail on 114 spring garden.|
|118 Spring Garden Street: Vogel House - 2-1/2 story house with wood trim, and Mansard roof with three windows. 3-pillar porch in front. Projecting square 2-1/2 story bay at eastern street corner, projecting into baker's alley on the East side. Another rounded 2-story bay half-way down the baker's alley. The Mansard roof is indicative of the "Second Empire" building style that was popular after the Civil War, and largely fell out of favor in the mid-1870s. The property owner at that time was Mary Keller, whose husband Thomas Keller was the proprietor of the Delaware Hotel at Front Street. The earlier history of the Delaware Hotel property and proprietors is included in the separate www.WalkingEaston.com entry for the Delaware Row Houses triplex at 102-06 Spring Garden Street. The Kellers split off the westernmost portion of their hotel property in 1876 with a sale to Edward Chidsey....more detail on 118 spring garden.|
|122 Spring Garden Street: Edward Chidsey Mansion - Victorian "Fishscale" shingles on Mansard roof, with pillared porch, 2 bay windows on front and one on the West side. This land was split off from the western end of the Delaware Hotel's property in 1876 by Mary A. Keller and her husband, Thomas (the Hotel's proprietor). A description of the Delaware Hotel's proprietors is included in the separate www.WalkingEaston.com entry for the Delaware Row Houses triplex at 102-06 Spring Garden Street....more detail on 122 spring garden.|
|130 Spring Garden Street: Row Houses ...coming soon|
|132-34 Spring Garden Street: Row House ...coming soon|
|136-38 Spring Garden Street: Colonial Pizza - An old house, apparently originally all stone, possibly dating from colonial times. Henry Spering, the Sheriff of Northampton County from 1797-1800, is listed as the owner of the patent on this land. However, other properties that also show Henry Spering as the property owner had been occupied earlier, and had been confiscated from Henry's father (John Spering), a Tory, during the Revolutionary War and later returned to the Spering children. Accordingly, this property could well have been occupied earlier than Henry Spering's time...more detail on 136 spring garden.|
|140-42 Spring Garden Street: Row House ...coming soon|
|79 North Second Street: Peter Brady House ...coming soon|
|North Second St. to Sitgreaves St:||North Side|
|201 Spring Garden Street: Parking Lot (formerly Bush Mansion) - The corner property had been the site of large stone house used initially as the German Reformed Parsonage, and (after 1816) as the home of Presbyterian Minister David Bishop. The corner property was subsequently the site of the Henry Fulmer Mansion, then listed as 41 Spring Garden St. under the numbering scheme then in effect, and assigned No.203 when the modern street numbering scheme was inaugurated in 1874. Fulmer was a merchant in iron and slate. He was still in residence in 1880, by then retired at the age of 49, accompanied by his wife (Matilda) and 22-year-old son (Chester)....more detail on 201 spring garden st.|
|217 Spring Garden Street: Pastor's House - Reportedly Woodrow Wilson's father lived here as minister of the Brainerd Presbyterian Church next door...more detail on 217 spring garden.|
219 Spring Garden Street: St. Michael's Lithuanian R.C. Church - Originally built in 1852 as the Brainerd Presbyterian Church, that congregation left the building in 1872 to a new location at 333 Spring Garden Street. The building thereafter became a Civil War veterans' club, and (as Heptasoph Hall) as a bowling alley and billiard parlor ...more detail on 219 spring garden.
|North Second St. to Sitgreaves St:||South Side|
|204 Spring Garden Street: Bixler/Laubach Mansion - Built before 1893 and occupied by Mrs. J. Elwood (Emma) Bixler. Emma Bixler was the widow of J. Elwood Bixler (jeweler, died 1891 ), a grandson of Christian Bixler III. " Christian Bixler started the Easton jewelry business. However, the jewelry business of this branch of the Bixler family ended with J. Elwood's death. The current Bixler's Jewelers store descends from a different son of the founder....more detail on 204 spring garden.|
|206 Spring Garden Street: Floyd Bixler House - Floyd S. Bixler, resident here in the 1880s until after 1920, was the great-grandson of jeweler Christian Bixler III (who founded the Easton Bixler dynasty), grandson of jeweler William Bixler, and son of jeweler J. Elwood Bixler. Unlike his forebears, however, Floyd S. Bixler's firm, Bixler & Correll, was in the wholesale dry goods trade. Floyd Bixler was also an Easton historian, writing (among other things) a history of Easton's early taverns, and a history of the Bixler family...more detail on 206 spring garden.|
208 Spring Garden Street: Residence - In 1880, M. McCartney (age 64) and her sister L.D. Maxwell (age 59) lived here. By 1900, and continuing until after 1920, this address was listed as the home of Easton lawyer Henry Maxwell, presumably a relative of L.D. Maxwell...more detail on 208 spring garden.
|214-16 Spring Garden Street: Howard Riegel Mansion - Built in 1902 by Benjamin and Barbara Riegel (see entry for 44 North Second Street) for Benjamin's brother, Howard, and his wife...more detail on 214 spring garden. YOU can OWN this amazing mansion - it is currently for sale! see realsellen.com|
|222 Spring Garden Street: Dr. Traill Green House - During much of the last half of the 19th Century, this was the home and medical practice of Dr. Traill Green. " Before the mid-1870s, it was listed as 56 Spring Garden St. under the street numbering scheme then in effect. " Dr. Green (1813-97) was a physician, and long-time Professor of Chemistry at Lafayette College. He also studied geology, zoology and botany. A leader of the temperance and anti-opium movements, he did prescribe alcohol and opium to his patients in what he considered proper cases....more detail on 222 spring garden.|
|Sitgreaves St. to North Third St:||North Side|
|231 Spring Garden Street: Col. Thomas McKean House - Originally constructed in 1832 or '33 by Col. Thomas McKean, for his wife. McKean was the second Easton Bank President and a protégé of Samuel Sitgreaves . A small 2-1/2 story brick expansion (numbered 229 Spring Garden St.) was built by the home's second owner, Dr. Lachenour, for his medical practice, in 1885, and he remodeled the main house in Victorian style at the same time. The Lachenour family (specifically Laura S. Lachenour) lived on this property until after 1910. The property was the site of Ormsby's Restaurant in the 1970s ...more detail on 231 spring garden.|
|237 Spring Garden Street: Residence ...coming soon|
241 Spring Garden Street: Dawes Homestead - Easton industrialist Samuel Sitgreaves acquired the entire Square between Bushkill, Pomfret (North 3rd), Spring Garden, and Sitgreaves Streets. After Samuel Sitgreaves died in 1827, his estate sold the entire Square to brewer John G. Marbacher for $6,500. Marbacher then divided up the Square, and proceeded to sell it off in separate pieces. In 1833, he sold a parcel with 27’ of frontage along Spring Garden Street to Charles Dawes. The modern property is essentially a small front section of the Dawes acquisition. It has been suggested that the present building was built in 1833, presumably by Charles Dawes... more detail on 241 Spring Garden.
|243 Spring Garden Street: Residence... coming soon|
109 North Third Street: Spring Garden Court (former YMCA HQ) ...more detail on 109 spring garden.
||244 Spring Garden Street: Ludlow Home - Home of Civil War Physician Dr. (Lt. Col.) Jacob R. Ludlow, who attended General Grant after the Battle of Vicksburg....more detail on 244 spring garden.|
|Sitgreaves St. to North Third St:||South Side|
234 Spring Garden Street: Trinity Episcopal Church - The original Episcopal congregation was established by Easton notable Samuel Sitgreaves in 1798, which (at some time thereafter) met in Sitgreaves's home. The original church building, known as the "White Church", was built in 1820 on land donated by Mr. Sitgreaves on the site of his carriage yard and orchard.....more detail on 234 spring garden.
|244 Spring Garden Street: Gate House ...coming soon.|
|252 Spring Garden Street: the Chipman Mansion is now Michael Perry's beautiful Sanctuary full-service salon. SE corner with North Third St., c.1907 (architect William Michler) built this as a residence for Easton Industrialist W. Evan Chipman, a partner (with his brother) in the Charles Chipman Sons Hosiery Mills (west Easton). The building until recently also served as Judges' Chambers for the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas. Also apparently in this building in 1855 (perhaps as a downstairs store front) was Sylvester Bush's grocery store, which made deliveries...more detail on 252 spring garden.|
|North Third St. to North Fourth St:||North Side|
|100 North Third Street: Sovereign Bank - Formerly site of Karldon Hotel (formerly Rising Sun Tavern, Slough's Hotel, United States Hotel). During the 1930s and '40s, this property became the site of The Patch Diner....more detail on 100 no. Third street.|
|327 Spring Garden Street: Slough House - Stone retirement house built in 1808 for Bethlehem blacksmith Phillip Slough. Slough bought the hotel at the corner of N. Third Street, but found it too strenuous to run and gave it to his son...more detail on 327 spring garden st.|
Bank Street ...coming soon.
|333 Spring Garden Street: First Presbyterian Church - Built in 1872 by the Bainerd Presbyterian Church. Present church congregation formed in 1814....more detail on 333 spring garden st.|
|355 Spring Garden Street: Churchman Business School Bldg - In 1911, William E. Churchman, the Manager of a business school on the second floor of 22-24 Centre Square, opened his own school in the Northampton National Bank bldg. His school moved to the Smith Bldg. at the NE corner of South 4th and Pine Streets in 1919, and then moved again in 1942 to Spring Garden Street. The school has now closed, and the building is undergoing renovations....more detail on 355 spring garden st.|
|North Third St. to North Fourth St.:|| South
|66 North Third Street: Jeremiah Gray Homestead - In 1852, this lot held "an old frame building, in which Jeremiah Murphy lived and kept a store." This was replaced by a "brick dwelling and store house" owned by Jeremiah Gray and his family from the late 1870s until 1922. Mr. Gray (born 1825 ) was a tailor, but the downstairs "store" in the building in the 1880s was the Frantz & Shafer grocery. ...more detail on 66 no. Third st.|
|77 North Fourth Street: Apartments|
|312 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
|318 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
|322 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
|324 Spring Garden Street: Mayor Field Residence - In 1910, the residence of Dr. B[enjamin] Rush Field (age 48). " Dr. Field was Mayor of Easton in 1893-96, and again from 1899-1902. He was also President of City Council from 1890-93. " Dr. Field also served as physician for the Coroner, and for the Northampton County Prison System... more detail on 324 spring garden.|
330 Spring Garden Street: Barron Residence - From at least the 1880s until after 1910, the home of George W. Barron, who had his "own income". . . more detail on 330 spring garden.
|332-36 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
|338-40 Spring Garden Street: Green Row Houses - From at least the 1880s until after 1910, the home of George W. Barron, who had his "own income"... currently the neighbor to noteworthy local attorney Theresa Hogan's office... more detail on 338 spring garden.|
|North Third St. to Mt. Jefferson:|| North
|100 North Fourth Street: Residence|
|411-13 Spring Garden Street: Voges Workshop/Residence|
|415 Spring Garden Street: Residence|
||425-27 Spring Garden Street: Fulmer Bros. Duplex - Three story brick double house, built in the "late Greek Revival" style by iron workers Joseph and Daniel Fulmer prior to 1860 (probably in the late 1850s). Original floors, and much of the original woodwork and glass, remain intact. " The Fulmer brothers' shop was located east of the house at what is now 411-13 Spring Garden Street. One brother (probably Joseph ) was a blacksmith (working in iron), the other was a "whitesmith" who finished metal or worked in light metals such as tin. As a combination, it appears that the shop probably did specialized artisan or craft work....more detail on 425-27 spring garden st. Thank you, Tom Jones for submitting this research!|
|North Third St. to Mt. Jefferson:|| South
|84 North Fourth Street: Residence|
|82 Spring Garden Street: Extension of Residential Property|
|416 Spring Garden Street: Vacant|
418 Spring Garden Street: Residence
webpage last updated 6/1/2015 ~ this site is brought to you by local historian Ricard F Hope, and local broker Ellen Shaughnessy - FreeBridgeRealty.com